Content sharing in home-to-home networks
The share it! project developed an end-to-end system that enables easy access to and transfer of personal content between local storage devices using home-to-home (h2h) networks and that enables innovative services through a seamless combination of on-line, broadcast, and stored content.
To achieve this objective, the project developed technologies that allow
- secure remote viewing and manipulation of stored content through a broadband connection,
- the convergence of broadcast content, on-line content, and user-produced content and metadata.
- The key issues addressed by the project are:
- Home-to-home connection
- Security Authentication
- Remote management of content
- File transfer and export of file systems
- Device, service and content discovery (peer-to-peer)
- Digital rights management (DRM)
- Provision of an interoperable storage system - the share it! box
- Study how to implement the paradigm shift from broadcaster-directed applications to consumer-driven applications
- Contribution to DVB and TV-Anytime
Within share it!, Fraunhofer FOKUS is responsible for the following main activities:
- Interaction design and development of the resident navigator of the share it! box
- Developement of MHP applications which enable the end user to become content provider in a share it! peeer-to-peer network:
- Camera application to import picture from a digital camera into the share it! box, manage pictures locally and share them with other peers
- BundleMaker - a tool for bundling collections of home-grown content and third party content
- Annotation tool to index and annotate video content
The project is partially sponsored by the European Commission (IST-2000-28703).