An elastic Platform as a Service (PaaS) cloud for interactive social multimedia
Feb. 01, 2014 to Jan. 31, 2017
The EU funded Specific Targeted Research Projects (STReP) ICT Call 8 ICT-2013.1.6. Connected and Social Media. Target outcome a): Connected Media starts in February 2014 under the title of "NUBOMEDIA" having Fraunhofer FOKUS/NGNI and TU Berlin/AV involved.
Proposal Abstract and idea of EU NUBOMEDIA project:
NUBOMEDIA proposition is to minimize the complexity of infrastructures by creating a specific purpose cloud platform bringing all the cloud advantages to the arena of real-time interactive multimedia. NUBOMEDIA will be capable of abstracting and managing all the low level details of service deployment, management, and mass-scale exploitation. In addition, this cloud will host interactive multimedia capabilities that shall be exposed through a simple API, so that the complexity of creating applications on top of the cloud is also minimized. Hence, the NUBOMEDIA concept can be synthesized in the following way:
NUBOMEDIA is an elastic scalable cloud platform specifically designed for real-time interactive multimedia services, which exposes its capabilities through a simple to use PaaS API.
NUBOMEDIA keystones are the following
- NUBOMEDIA is based on Free Open Source Software (FOSS) and will be released using flexible FOSS licenses. This shall guarantee that the platform is open and can be openly accessed.
- To defeat fragmentation, NUBOMEDIA shall be designed to simplify the creation of multiplatform live interactive multimedia applications, with special emphasis on WWW and smartphone/tablet platforms.
- In NUBOMEDIA, the concept of multimedia will be generalized to introduce more than audio and video on the interaction channel. It will provide support for data exchanged from any kind of sensors.
- NUBOMEDIA will provide seamless integration and access to advanced media capabilities such as Video Content Analysis (VCA - aka Computer Vision), Augmented Reality (AR), media privacy and protection, media monitoring and auditing, media adaptation and media transformation; allowing enriching the information and the interaction capabilities of applications. Immersive and 3D formats will also be supported in the infrastructure.
- NUBOMEDIA will be able to integrate with third party live interactive multimedia technologies including VoIP systems, Telecom infrastructures, CDNs, WWW and TV broadcast systems.
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Spain (coordinator)
- Visual Tools SA, Spain
- LiveU Ltd., Israel
- Fraunhofer FOKUS, Germany
- Naevatec, Spain
- Teknologian Tutkimuskeskus (VTT), Finland
- University Stefan Cel Mare Suceava, Romania
- Zed Worldwide S.A., Spain
- Technische Universität Berlin, Germany
- Telecom Italia S.p.A., Italy