Mar. 01, 2008 to Feb. 01, 2010
The main strategic objective of C-CAST is to evolve mobile multicasting to exploit the increasing integration of mobile devices with our everyday physical world and environment. Thus, C-CAST will provide an end-to-end context-aware communication framework specifically for intelligent multicast-broadcast services to deliver context-aware multimedia content to a set of users efficiently.
To realize this vision, C-CAST has to
- Define means to sense, aggregate and interpret context information
- Identify content management and delivery functions
- Develop algorithms for content context matching
- Define mechanisms for creating context-aware groups
The main targets of FOKUS are:
- Multiparty Session Management
Efficient delivery of the service to the users, any time, anywhere, covering the entire content delivery process from content provider to end consumer is targeted. Therefore session management between content provider, consumer and media delivery is important, and forms the main objective of this task.
- Content Storage and Distribution within Network Entities
Definition of an overlay network for enabling intelligent distribution of content across multiple access technologies with centralised or distributed control.
- Portugal Telecom Inovação (PT)
- Telecom Italia (IT)
- Deutsche Welle (DE)
- BigBand Networks (IL)
- Motorola (FR)
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung (DE)
- Instituto de Telecomunicações (PT)
- University of St Gallen (CH)
- University of the West of England (UK)
- University of Applied Sciences Osnabrueck (DE)
- University of Kaiserslautern (DE)
- University of Cyprus (CY)
The project started in March 2008 and has a duration of 23 months.