The FUSECO Playground covers the entire technology spectrum of a Next Generation Mobile Network - from end devices across various access & core networks up to an open set of application platforms, supporting data, multimedia streaming and mobile cloud applications, including mobility and handover testing. It integrates various state of the art wireless broadband networks into a 3GPP Evolved Packet Core (EPC) prototype platform. In addition it features an Open IMS Core solution including relevant enablers to gain experience with IMS-based Rich Communication Services (RCS), WebRTC and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services, as well as the following testing environments, complying with 3GPP, OMA, ETSI and OneM2M specifications:
- OpenEPC - a prototype implementation of the 3GPP Release 11-13 Evolved Packet Core from Fraunhofer FOKUS and TU Berlin AV that allows academic and industrial researchers and engineers around the world to obtain a practical look and feel of the powerful control capabilities of the Evolved Packet Core enabling Mobile Broadband Applications. OpenEPC Rel. 5 successfully adapts the concept of SDN/OpenFlow on the data plane for realizing the split of gateways.
- Open5GCore, a practical implementation of the evolution of the mobile operator core network towards the integration of novel radio technologies beyond LTE and LTE-A. Open5GCore aims at providing a first prototypical view on the core network handling the requirements of mobile subscribers and services enabling the research and the hands-on proof-of concept before standardization activities.
- The OpenMTC platform has been designed to address the characteristics of Machine Type Communication (MTC), inspired by ETSI M2M, oneM2M and OMA standards. OpenMTC mainly consists of two common M2M capability layers, for front-end gateways in the field domain and the backend in the infrastructure domain.Residing between data network core and applications, it implements specific Machine-to-Machine (M2M) service capabilities such as: generic communication, application enabling, and remote management. By relying on standardized network-exposed M2M capabilities, operators and vendors are able to discover new M2M and Internet of Things (IoT) market potentials.
- OpenSDNCore. Practical implementation of the future core network evolution based on the Software Defined Networks (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) concepts. It enables early prototyping of self-adaptation functionality, and it operates at every level: Data Path, Control Plane and Orchestrator Level. OpenSDNCore provides an orchestrator for management and control of vRAN, vEPC, vIMS and other NFVs in the cloud.
- OpenXSP. The Open eXtensible Service Platform introduces the core of a flexible, scalable open service environment for combining M2M and human-to-human communication services in one cloud. It is based on a lightweight, high performance application platform that is designed for modern mobile, web, and enterprise applications.
- Open Source IMS Core. Key technology enabling VoLTE and RCS and next generation communication services.
- OpenStack-based Cloud Testbed enabling IaaS and PaaS as well as supporting federation standards.
External internet or cloud-based service platforms can be connected to this testbed in order to prototype new service concepts end to end across various network topologies.