Portable 5G Node
To extend a network capacity to a specific location, one of the most attractive use cases is to make the network portable or mobile, enabling private local communication as well as efficient backhauling to a central location or to edge nodes.
- A portable network can be installed and configured at the specific use case location in a matter of minutes and remain in use for a specific duration of time of the use case (such as for fairs or for construction sites).
- A mobile network has to be installed in a mobile vehicle and can follow the specific mobile communication needs at their location (such as public parades, public health or emergency networks);
The portable 5G edge network is designed to test the feasibility of such a solution for 5G networks:
- Spectrum usage around the nomadic edge node (licensed and unlicensed)
- Connectivity of the devices to the local network – connecting the devices to the locally deployed network, including automatic configuration
- Power management – especially the mobile edge network has to function with the spare power from the vehicle
- Local offloading of the communication – providing support for private local communication
- Backhaul selection between satellite and available terrestrial operators – enabling efficient communication with the central locations and the Internet for data, for control plane as well as for the management of the edge network
- Communication over unreliable wireless backhaul – especially for the mobile network, the backhaul connectivity quality is varying while mobile.