Best Practice Example for R&D
There are some R&D steps which can not be missed for reaching relevant research and innovation results.
- Motivating Research – showcasing the possible of a new technology
- Novel Ideas – direction, planning, literature study and hands-on implementations
- Simulation Environment – evaluations of ideas on complex models
- Prototyping in Real Environments – realistic, comprehensive PoCs
- Product Prototyping – and the appropriate counterpart network environment
- Integration, Inter-op and Trials – comprehensive environments
- Product Implementation and Marketing
Key Communication Changes with 5G
5G is based on a comprehensive software system using all the resources available in the system
Network functions can be installed in compute nodes at the edge of the network and new types of local access networks (and integrating existing ones) can be developed.
Major Advantages of the 5G evolution
The 5G ecosystem takes advantage of these changes when implementing the network functions able to seize the infrastructure advantages
First the communication can be executed through dedicated networks by using the same network functions which are customized for the needs of the use cases.
Second the Network functions can be placed in different network locations providing differentiated services, security and resilience.
Third local access networks can use carrier-grade network technologies that means addressing the vertical requirements with the same technologies and enable anybody with communication requirements to install a network.
Why use a 5G system instead of a 4G one?
The 5G system provides a very high level of flexibility addressing the specific requirements of the use cases
- Network functions can be customized depending on the communication requirements
- The system can use the infrastructure available at the location. Therefore it adapts to the compute capabilites of the nodes and optimizes the communication between locations.
- The system can integrate with different access networks (including WLAN and LTE)
- Integrating with the local access networks by providing optimized communication for outside communication of local networks and mobile local networks.
The Integrated Perspective
Providing a cross-layer communication between the network functions and the infrastructure level
- Adapting the deployments to service requirementswill be possible. That means dynamically adding network functions according to the service administrator needs and adapting the service based on momentary status.
- 5G externalize functionality to infrastructure for example load balancing, high availability, security and backhaul selection.
- Service status and infrastructure information on the externalized functionality and on the current status of the system will be provided.
The Infrastructure Perspective
Providing mechanisms and features needed for distributed system deployments (on Device/Fog, Edge, Central nodes)
In the future the mechanisms will be moved from the 5G system level to the new infrastructure middleware. The results are:
- Performance enhancement – load balancing and high availability
- Resilience of the end-to-end communication
- Security at infrastructure level
- Secure and Reliable Connectivity management
- Real-time orchestration of functionality
The Network Functions Perpsective
- The 5G system is a distributed system so the network functions understand the underlying connectivity and synchronize.
- The 5G system is a software system where the performance depends on the underlying uncertain infrastructure. Therefore new mechanisms will be developed for ensuring the resilience and the security, including different levels of trust on the instrastructure.
- The 5G system should be adaptable enough to run on the available infrastructures (or at least be able to determine on which infrastructures it can run).