Projects on Media Streaming
Adaptive Media Streaming
Student Project (1-3 participants), Bachelor- and Master Thesis
MPEG-DASH enables multiple representations with varying bitrate and resolution for media streams. One of the most crucial challenges of using MPEG-DASH is the implementation of a client enabling smooth media playback. The key component is the adaptivity algorithm of the client. The bandwidth that is available defines the maximum possible bitrate for a media stream representation to be used. An approach that is often used for reaching the best quality representation is to start with the lowest bitrate available and gradually increase the quality of the representation. This allows the player to switch to the maximum bitrate.
At the same time network conditions need to be checked by the client. Network condition can vary everywhere the Web is accessed. The most affected devices are obviously mobile phones and tablets connected via a cellular network. The coverage of a mobile network's base station is limited as well as its amount of clients that can be served. This quickly leads to a bottleneck and bandwidth losses for each user. An advanced algorithm should be aware of its context (e.g. network type, other clients, user history, time etc.).
- Research & develop context-sensitive adaptive media streaming algorithms
- Integration with open source MPEG-DASH players (e.g.
- dash.js, shaka)
- Test and compare implementation
- Basic Knowledge in media streaming
Implementation of an MPEG-DASH segmenter using Node.js
Student project (1-3 participants)
The goal of this project is to implement a Node.js based DASH segmenter. Participants in this project will get a good understanding of the principles and challenges behind DASH based media streaming. Moreover, the project offers the chance to work with Node.js.
- Understand adaptive streaming technologies, MPEG-DASH in particular
- Understand the container structure of DASH based media files (ISOBMFF)
- Extend a Node.js based DASH segmenter to support new box types
- Implement an MPD creator to support use cases like multi-period, ad-insertion
- Interested in media streaming and web technologies
- MPEG-DASH, HLS